[LAU] Portable Digital Recorders

james morris james at jwm-art.net
Sun Jan 31 16:37:48 EST 2010

The H4 is quite good as a first (and in my case only) portable recorder.
It does everything you require, and can also be used as an audio device
(aka soundcard).

Used as an audio device you can also use it's built in FX, but as an
audio device it can only handle 16bit 44.1khz while as a recorder it can
record 24bit 96khz wavs/mp3.

I've also used it via JACK as audio in/out devices. Also used it as
input device while my 'real' soundcard was output device (ignoring the
sync problems).

I have noticed that with the mic settings on high the inbuilt stero mics
possibly pick up interference from the writing-data LED! Anyone else get
this?

James.