[LAU] Portable Digital Recorders

alexander axeldenstore at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 19:11:15 EST 2010

Like many others here I have a zoom too, I got the newer h4n tho. All in
all they are quite similar I've only briefly tried the h4. The preamps
are suppose to be less noisy in the newer one but I suspect the
difference is quite insignificant. These devices are not made to make
super high quality recordings of quiet sources but you should get away
with a moderately played acoustic guitar, from a distance of, say 60cm..
using a pair of condenser mics with good output levels should also yield
better result. The h4n feels sturdier and less toyish than the h4 and
another cool detail is that you can twist the internal XY setup from 90*
to 120*. The h4 has nice cage's to protect the mics, the mics on the h4n
feels a little but vulnerable but on the flipside you get a hardcase
with it. With the h4n you can also use a special 4track mode to record 4
tracks simultaneously, internal mics + external inputs. All in all it's
a device well worth the money paid. I tried it as an interface too, I
couldn't get it running full duplex, ie. I had to use my internal card
as output. And I only got buffer size down to 512frames 2 periods @
48khz. However, I don't run an rt kernel atm..