[LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Thu Jul 1 21:58:17 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 05:25:19PM +0100, Gwenhwyfaer wrote:

> Now, if anyone wants to make money off it, I think Steve has a right
> to expect to be given some of that money. (Indeed, one could argue
> that if Steve's music helps someone pass the time as they tend their
> crops, they have a moral duty to feed him should he turn up on their
> doorstep.)

Only Steve ? Or also the musicians who performed for the recording
you listened to while tending your imperfect garden, the sound engineer
who recorded it (and has to pay for his equipment), whoever invested in
whatever infrastructure used to enable you to get a copy of the recording,
etc. etc. ?

> But by and large we all agree that freedom of expression is
> a basic human right

I fail to see the relation between making a copy of some artist's
work for your own use, and 'freedom of expression'.

Caio,

--
FA

O tu, che porte, correndo si ?