[LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Jul 2 00:52:23 UTC 2010

On 07/01/2010 07:04 PM, James Warden wrote:

>>> but a more fundamental reason: that's how nature works
>>>
>> to evolve. Copying is just one way, and it used to be the
>> main way of reproducing in the past. With the advent of
>> sexual reprod. things got a bit more fancy and evolution
>> took a new turn. I venture that copying computer bits that
>> provide meaningful information is just another instantiation
>> of the same old process. Later on, that copying process may
>> well evolve to a form equivalent to the sexual reprod. and
>> more diversity will emerge from the process.
>>

>> Mashups ?
>>

> yes, could be participating in this next stage of information diversification, spreading, and even creation (1 + 1>  2). Not that I subscribe to the Gaia concept, but it feels like we are active "neurons" and "neurotransmitters" of an evolving "superbrain". We are still very far from full development as we  feel or are disconnected from the rest of our environment. But even that stage of separation was probably necessary so we could develop our specific human features to interesting levels. When we bring this back to the rest (provided that we don't destroy ourselves in the process), this "superbrain" (or consciousness ?) will move on to some further stage.

Quite likely it will depart from the human physical aspect so we will
all be left behind at that point.

> All we are doing now (artistic activities, economic exchanges, etc) are just natural processes within a larger dynamic design. Whatever it takes to interact, even if we argue or screw each other, the idea is that this brings new complexity levels via expanding networks (of any kind) that add up in this ever evolving design. Just like a brain: first new neurons are created then interactions and bridges between them are intensifying and getting more and more complex.

The elite currently enjoying a larger share of the pie will do whatever
they can to protect the structure of society that allows them to
maintain their power and if hobbling the process of sharing information
to delay the evolution of the mega brain helps their ends then they will
be happy to support any organisation that takes on this cause for them.
Another reason why I cannot support the goals of ASCAP in this regard.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd