[LAU] opinions from (potential) user perspectives wanted

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabrbedd at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 05:11:08 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010, James Morris wrote:

>> Have you considered doing an MDI interface?  This way you can go back to
>> spamming windows... but it stays contained in your applications MainWindow.
>
> No I'd not considered it. But as long as I could force the doc windows
> to appear exactly where told it would work but this would probably
> depend upon whichever window-manager was controlling windows. I'm not
> keen.

AFAIK, the windows inside the app are not controlled by the
window manager at all.  You would have full control.

>> I'm invisioning something very simple and flexible. Something that pretty
>> much keeps 1/4 time.  Something that can also slave to the Jack transport.
>
> If doing that prevented me as a user from using it with more
> interesting time signatures than 4/4 I'd be pretty hacked off.

Really, I was thinking about allowing mismatched time
signatures while still having the transport "keep the beat."

For example, each window generates patterns in different
time signatures at the same time (4/4, 5/4, 7/8, etc.).  If
your transport is simply "keeping a beat" (1/4) then it's
easy to do this.

But if your transport is keeping 4/4 time... getting 5/4 and
7/8 to sync along isn't quite as simple.

Why would anyone want to do this?  A good example is 'Let
Down' by Radiohead (from OK Computer).  The bell/guitar
intro is in some strange meter.  The band comes in with a
4/4 time... and the way tha the bell/guitar part syncs is
(IMHO) just plain interesting to listen to.

-gabriel