[LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Fri Jul 2 08:21:18 UTC 2010

Am 02.07.2010 00:48, schrieb drew Roberts:
> On Thursday 01 July 2010 17:58:17 fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 05:25:19PM +0100, Gwenhwyfaer wrote:
>>> Now, if anyone wants to make money off it, I think Steve has a right
>>> to expect to be given some of that money. (Indeed, one could argue
>>> that if Steve's music helps someone pass the time as they tend their
>>> crops, they have a moral duty to feed him should he turn up on their
>>> doorstep.)
>>
>> Only Steve ? Or also the musicians who performed for the recording
>> you listened to while tending your imperfect garden, the sound engineer
>> who recorded it (and has to pay for his equipment), whoever invested in
>> whatever infrastructure used to enable you to get a copy of the recording,
>> etc. etc. ?
>
> Steve's english teachers, maths teachers, music teachers, mother and father?

These people may have helped to develop the needed craft and knowledge
in Steve Reich. And so his way to write music is probably a product of
education, a value developed by many. But all this people did not write
the music for mallets. They did not sit for hundreds of houres fighting
with timings, timbre, harmonics etc etc.Steve Reich did this, he did
this alone and it does not seem odd to me, that he shall have some
control about what is happening with his actual work. Work - as in:
"doing one thing for some time and having no time to do something else
in the same time".
And b.t.w.: I do not think, that the value of  a work lies in the
hardship, the worker has to go through. If a punk-band writes a
3-min-song in 1-2 h filled up with beer and without feeling like working
at all it is still the genuine work of individuals that should be respected.

Of course Mr. Reich has no patent on writing music his way. Everybody is
free to study the music and to develop new pieces of minimal music in
the style of Steve Reich.

Ideas shall be free and in music they are actually. Actual work shall be
attributed and the person, who did the work shall get a
compensation/reward for the work. If an artist/worker decides, to
licence his/her work CC BY, then it is his/her decision, I would choose
CC BY SA and in most cases CC BY SA NC.