[LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 09:07:42 UTC 2010

Hey Joep!

In the end it comes down to values. I consider a discussion to be resolved
if we 1) agree or else 2) find points on which we differ

I think you and me are 2).

I do not share your view on spirituality in music. To me music is more than
just fun or displaying skill to then get a reward. And there is nothing to
be explained here, this is simply true for me and not true for you.

When you say that sampled music is not music, it is your opinion with which
I respectfully do not agree. When you say that no skill is required to work
with samples, than here I can confidently tell you that you are simply
wrong. Working with samples is extremely difficult if you want a good
result. You should consider the possibility that you did not hear good
sampled music, it is a unique art. You may call that not music but, say,
mash ups, but it is certainly art when you look at best examples. And
performing sampled music, just like playing piano, requires hours and hours
of everyday practice - no kidding.

When you say that people spend hours and hours playing music and that they
deserve a reward, I must add that I typically agree, provided their work is
actually good (who would care about a bad song which took 100 hours to
produce). The emphasis on hard work is irrelevant, though. Some composers
work really quickly, some work slowly, it depends. But there are many
examples of people not caring much about rewards. A scientist in Russia got
a Noble prize and refused to take it, because he does not want money. His
main reward is the result of his work.
Of course, as always, I am not saying composers should not eat. But I do not
believe there is any problem making a living.

But you did raise a very interesting point. it is a point that asking
permission to use your work is courtesy. I can say that I completely agree
IF we are speaking about colleagues or friends or generally people that know
you. I agree that if I know my friend hates Baroque music it would not be a
good thing to take his images and make a mash up with Baroque music on top.
And anyway, would be nice to inform him and ask him. But generally, it would
be courtesy on his side if he says "Yes, sure, use it".
In fact, not allowing to use your work is almost always bad. The reasons are
almost always nasty. It's not about starving, really. And if my friend tells
me "Can I use your melody", I cannot imagine how I can tell him "no" and not
feel that I've betrayed the very essence of what being a composer is.

But what should be done between friends and close colleagues should not be
put into law. While I expect my friend to tell me that he plans to use my
melody in his composition, simply because it is courtesy, I do not expect
you, a person on the other side of the globe, to be obliged to do the same.
You can do it if you want and I'd be glad to know, but I do not oblige you
and I don't think I should.

Some copyright in close relationships is good. It is copyright as a law
that's causing problems.

Hope you find my opinion interesting ;)
Cheers!

Louigi.