[LAU] Paper on new methods of notation

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Jul 3 12:13:07 UTC 2010

David Collins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've written a short paper on different methods of notation which have evolved recently, and thought that some readers here might be interested.
> The paper is available at http://indigo.uk.to/~david/notes/music/notation.pdf .
>
> The primary languages discussed are Mondrian, Abc notation, Csound, and Lilypond.

Hmm, I thought Lilypond was just software for producing very good
quality traditional Western music notation. It's a different method?

Oh, sorry, I read your "different methods of notation" as different
forms of music notation - IOW, something different from traditional
Western music notation. Csound's a programming language, I guess that
could be considered a form of music notation, but I'd consider that one
specialized for "reading" by Csound. Like a player piano scroll is
specialized for reading by a player piano.

I just don't think of them as "music notation". I'm probably too
sheet-music oriented.

What's Mondrian?

--
David