[LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

Steve Fosdick sjflists at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 5 22:38:09 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 15:07 -0400, drew Roberts wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 June 2010 14:12:31 James Morris wrote:

> > > snip

> > > Where is the den of thieves again?
> >
> > you, us, linux users, and anyone else who shares a passion for
> > free-as-in-freedom culture.
>
> Oh, so not the people taking advantage of the young artists?

To be fair though I do not believe you can construct a moral argument
along the lines of:

 "If I buy a record various people, including the record company,
benefit a great deal more than the recording artist therefore the artist
concerned won't mind if I just steal it instead and deprive the artist
of even that little he would have had."

On the other hand people should be free to choose an alternative license
without hassle from those who choose to charge,