[LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Tue Jul 6 09:13:24 UTC 2010

On 07/06/2010 07:04 PM, Louigi Verona wrote:
> "it is simply not possible to stop people from copying without taking
> away a very big infrastructure that the people using to do the copying
> on are going to defend to the death"
>
> and it can be argued that it is simply impossible in question.
> torrents are "underground", but they are so common that I would say
> that in fact legal shops are more underground than the pirate bay.
> and so if, say, they make it illegal to use a computer that was not
> authorized by Microsoft or Apple, with DRM built into their systems,
> most of the population will simply be using illegal hardware (and, of
> course, illegal software). Also, it will create a very tense
> situation. It is very hard to pass a law that does not allow a company
> to create hardware they want. It will ruin a lot of businesses and in
> turn they will have enough power to ruin the entertainment "industry".
>
> So I am confident that battle will be lost.
>
> L.V.

But with industry heavily invested in the mission to control how the
information is distributed and external forces pushing for the industry
to handle it in draconian ways it will no doubt be a long battle to the
bitter end. Quite probably a war of attrition has already been started.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd