[LAU] Slightly OT - MP3 encoding ffmpeg and lame

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Tue Jul 6 19:24:47 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Ken Smith's message of 2010-07-06 20:21:24 +0200:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to get ffmpeg to encode to mp3 format on a Centos 5.5 system.
>
> I have an FC6 system with lame 3.97 and ffmpeg 0.4.9 and a FC8 system
> with lame 3.98 and ffmpeg 0.4.9 both installed from RPM's found at ATrpms.
>
> On both FC6 and FC8 systems I can transcode a mpg file (captured by
> MythTV) to mp3 like this
>
>   /usr/bin/ffmpeg -i /mnt/store/20560_20100621190000.mpg -ar 48000
> -acodec mp3 -ab 128k -f mp3 test.mp3
>
> But with ffmpeg 0.4.9/0.5.2 and lame 3.97/3.98 from either ATrpms or
> RPMForge on Centos 5.5 I either get an error message about ffmpeg not
> recognising the mp3 codec or a floating point exception.
>
> I must be missing something obvious, but what.
>
> Would building either package from source be a better route?
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> Ken

I'm not familiar with ffmpegs options and don't understand the line,
but one thing you could try is to decode the mpg file to wav, then call
lame explicitly. Maybe it's also possible to pipe between the two
programs.
--
Regards,
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan