[LAU] plug ins in ardour

Jostein Chr. Andersen jostein at vait.se
Wed Jul 7 14:41:03 UTC 2010

onsdag 07 juli 2010 15.46.46 skrev  drew Roberts:
> Would is be worthwhile for us to set up a plugin sample library?
>
> Someplace where we could host a sound file without and with various
> plugins  applied to make it possible for people to see what each plugin
> can do by a quick listen.

Might be a good idea, or maybe the existing plugin lists can be improved:

There are several plugin lists on the 'Net, but the ones I have in mind are
somewhat confusing because the focus on what they do do usually have the last
priority and the the focus of plugin type have the first priority, like if
it's LADSPA, LV2 or ie. VST. This is IMHO wrong. I believe that a person who
needs a plugin are looking for something that can solve her or hes problem.

If we take http://ardour.org/plugins an an example: Here is CALF listed under
both LADSPA and LV2. Wouldn't it be better so do it more like things are
listed under the heading "What plugins are recommended?" on the same page but
slightly expanded:

Dynamics (or packages with dynamic plugins):
  CAPS(LADSPA/LV2) http://quitte.de/dsp/caps.html
  SWH (LADSPA/LV2) http://plugin.org.uk/lv2/

Filter/EQ (or packages with filter/eq plugins)
  FIL (LADSPA) http://kokkinizita.net/linuxaudio/index.html

And it might be even better if the list starts with something like:
"New in the Linux Audio World and buzzwords like LADSPA, LV2, VST and ZYZ?
Click here if you want to learn about it before deciding wich plugins to use"

Jostein