[LAU] OT: mineral wars in Congo

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Sat Jul 10 19:11:09 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Saturday 10 July 2010 10:49:22 Ken Restivo wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 07:09:01PM +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
> > On Wednesday 07 July 2010 09:55:15 Philipp ??berbacher wrote:
> > > The only problem with old gear is power consumption. I don't know
> > > what's worse from a purely ecological point of view. Most power is
> > > still generated from non-renewable sources.
> > Which is the reason I will soon put my P4 system in retirement. Its nice
> > to keep old hardware alive with linux. But its not nice to keep the
> > electrical bill up with devices that have the worst
> > power-consumption/processing-speed ratio...
> Like most optimization problems, it's a balance.  Every once and a while,
> it makes sense to give in and purge/upgrade gear. But, with Linux, at
> least you aren't forced into doing it on an accelerated schedule due to
> software bloat.
> For 4 years, my router was a Linux 486 with two ISA ethernet cards and a
> PCI wifi card. The electrical bill and noise got on my nerves, so I
> replaced it with a Linux Linksys WRT. That Linksys is still in continuous
> service and has been for 6 years now. Silent, reliable, fast, and uses
> very little electricity.

I would love to continue to use my wrt router. But it has some problems, some
which are software and would be fixable by a custom linux, some are hardware.
So my plan is an atom board with CompactFlash for the os, one or two hdd's for
stuff (which power down when not used), wireless-card and two network
interfaces for internal network and dsl. With a big cooling block, it should
be running fan-less...

Have fun,

Arnold