[LAU] jack2 set to realtime / soft mode, normal kernel ?

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Sat Jul 10 21:31:40 UTC 2010

On 07/10/2010 11:16 PM, Harry Van Haaren wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Advantages of firewire approach:
> 1. Bus design. Internally, the firewire chip doesnt have to ask the CPU to
> copy data
> to its port, it just does it, while USB devices use the CPU for this task.
> 2. On cheap laptops (and unfortunat others) the IRQ's between USB&
> something else
> collide. This means worse performance. (I'm aware that Firewire IRQ's can
> collide too,
> but I've never seen that phenomena before.)

On my notebook I can' t get Firewire to work without a realtime kernel
and rtirq-init because the Firewire controller shares an IRQ with a load
of other things:

jeremy at soushi:~$ cat /proc/interrupts | grep 1394
  16:        119    1453949   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb3, ohci1394,
eth7, mmc0, jmb38x_ms:slot0, nvidia

Tomtidom, that's an USB port, a Firewire controller, a WiFi controller,
a cardreader and a GPU. It's probably the most crowded IRQ that ever
existed on the face of the earth ;)

Best,

Jeremy