[LAU] jack2 set to realtime / soft mode, normal kernel ?

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Sun Jul 11 09:33:59 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Jonathan E. Brickman's message of 2010-07-10 19:28:25 +0200:

> I was very surprised to see Jack2 working well set to realtime + soft
> mode, with a normal (non-rt) kernel, giving me 2.67 ms stated latency
> without kernel crashes in Fedora 13.  Anyone doing it this way?  Anyone
> see disadvantages?  So far it's pretty gravy for me.
>
> J.E.B.

Isn't softmode the mode that doesn't report xruns?

-s, --softmode  Soft-mode, no xrun handling (default: false)

What this means exactly I don't know, but I doubt that softmode is
something that should be used unless there's a good reason for it.
--
Regards,
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan