[LAU] OT Rant: When will people stop comparing Windows/Linux apps?

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Sun Jul 11 14:59:29 UTC 2010

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 22:22:38 +0800
Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-07-11 at 15:42 +0200, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> > On 2010-07-11 13:51, Andrew C wrote:
> > > Heck, even
> > > Mac OS X has more in common with linux than windows does, and I'm not
> > > seeing people going 'Why can't I run Ableton on this Mac? Ugh it sucks
> > > big time, I won't bother with it!'.
> >
> > First: I only run linux, never tried Ableton Live, but would like to.
> >
> > To answer (or comment) what you wrote there:
> >
> > 1) If you need ableton live, you need ableton live, and if it won't work
> > on OS-however-nice it stops right there, at least for some people.
>
> Yes, if you're used to (and have spent hours learning) an app that does
> all you want, why would you want to learn another one, with a different
> design philosophy and different (maybe inferior) feature-set?
>
> Most people have ROI on their minds. If spending all this time learning
> Linux and this new app is just going to bring me to the same level of
> functionality that I already have, why bother?

But that frame of mind is a trap (one I've fallen into myself a few
times) especially for anyone with claims of creativity. The very fact
of trying something different and working in a way that is not familiar
and 'automatic' can dramatically expand your capabilities.

Does what I want (why should I change?)

1991	SY22
1991	Acorn Risc PC as a sequencer
1992	Sound Canvas
1995	QS300
2002	PC running linux as a sequencer
2006	ZynAddSubFX (major wake-up)

I do try other software and hardware stuff from time to time, to make
sure I don't get complacent again, if for no other reason!

Oh, and recently I've gone back to guitar playing after a 35 year
break - my poor fingers :o

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk