[LAU] Yet another audio interface post

Renato rennabh at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 16:00:42 UTC 2010

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 11:18:55 +0200
Pedro Ferreira <ilzogoiby at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if anyone here has ever tried this one:
>
> http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/audio-kontrol-1/?page=380
>
> They claim that it is supported under Linux:
>
> http://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/compatibility/linux/
>
> And the ALSA matrix seems to confirm it:
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-Native_Instruments
>
> However, i haven't found any reports from people using it for
> recording.

Hello,

I have a Rig Kontrol 2 from Native Instruments. It does have a driver
for Alsa, and I'm happily using it with JACK. AFAIK the driver is the
same for all the NI devices, snd-usb-caiaq; when I was trying to get
mine to work (wasn't straightforward due to bugs in the driver which
the dev has worked out, now it should be plug-play) I found in some
places reports of  attempts of using the Audio Kontrol 1 on linux - the
NI forums I guess, I could try to fetch them out if google is not your
friend.

So for the audio part there should be no difficulties IMHO, and
if there were the dev (which is on the alsa mailing list) is a very
friendly guy and I guess he would help you.

BUT: I don't know if the things (knobs, buttons etc.) on the Audio
Kontrol 1 produce MIDI, however I doubt it, since the ones on my RK2
don't - they produce HID-like events though, that is it is recognized
as sort of a keyboard or mouse.
These can be converted in MIDI using pure data or supercollider (what
I'm doing) and it works great, but it may be more of a hassle than one
would like to; I wouldn't recommend it to someone who can still buy
something that sends out straight midi (I bought my RK2 before moving
to linux).

So all in all I bet you could get it working, but probably (unless it
sends out MIDI) you'd have to put together some pd patch or sc code.

HTH,
renato