[LAU] OT Rant: When will people stop comparing Windows/Linux apps?

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Tue Jul 13 17:43:04 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 13 July 2010 11:19:11 Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 10:05 -0400, drew Roberts wrote:
> > On Sunday 11 July 2010 10:22:38 Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> > > Most people have ROI on their minds. If spending all this time learning
> > > Linux and this new app is just going to bring me to the same level of
> > > functionality that I already have, why bother?
> >
> > Because your Freedom matters?
> >
> > all the best,
> >
> > drew
>
> So does bottomline.

I don't care to make a choice for someone else whether their freedom is worth
more to them than their bottomline is. They can do that for themselves. I
don't even particularly want to argue the point and especially not once
removed or more.

> Don't get me wrong, I've made that switch, and freedom does matter. Were
> I making a living out of this stuff, those additional weeks cost real
> money. Making consumer choices on the basis of freedom is a luxury, not
> a right. Some do not have the option to.
When you are in this position and your freedom still matters to you it might
be time to devote a certain percentage of your bottomline or even your
revenue to funding (and perhaps giving other support to) something  that is
Free and will work for you so that when it is ready, you will have the
choice.

all the best,

drew