[LAU] Yet another audio interface post

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 14:01:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 7:57 AM, Louigi Verona <louigi.verona at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I would question that. I am a real musician. I have hardware synths which
> > use. I need to record the output of those
> > into a computer. What is so dj-ish about it?
>
> louigi - this is really just a question about cabling (once you get
> beyond your mono-mic-only laptop dilemma).
>
> i too have h/w synths, and their outputs are delivered on 1/4" TRS
> sockets, 1 per channel. so, when connecting this kind of equipment,
> the most obvious thing is to have a pair of 1/4" -> 1/4" *mono* cables
> and plug one end into the synth and the other into a 1/4" socket of an
> audio interface.
>
> it sounds as if your experience with other equipment is leading you to
> favor the idea of a cable with 2 1/4" *mono* jacks at one end, and 1
> *stereo* jack at the other. there certainly are consumer sound cards
> that use stereo mini-jacks for input, so if you used one of them, this
> is the kind of cable you'd use. a lot of DJ equipment expects to
> receive/deliver stereo via such jacks too (even more true as portable
> digital music players have become the core playback device for many
> DJs) hence the suggestion above. but most equipment aimed at musicians
> doesn't use stereo jacks, just pairs of mono ones.

Yep, Paul, I get it. In fact, I do have an EMU 0404 USB, which has two mono
inputs and
which U successfully used (until I moved to Linux where it isn't supported).

On the soundcard which is discussed in this thread, however, there seems to
be only one
mono jack, so no luck feeding a stereo signal into this card, I guess.

--
Louigi Verona
http://www.louigiverona.ru/