[LAU] Help finding parts for building a hardware system

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 14:26:49 UTC 2010

Thanks, Jonathan, the description of your system sounds nice...

It also appears that I should give a bit more of a background
description on what I am trying to put together. While I would like to
be able to use this machine live, I am mostly thinking of it as a
production system. Most of the things I am interested in seem to
require too much synthesis for my Mac to handle in realtime (doing
some granular synthesis with about 64 grains going at one time). I am
also interested in Computer Generated music for real musicians.

Currently, I am using PD as a "gui" building system, while I am doing
the audio stuff in other programs linked up to PD. I tried to use PD
for the audio stuff, but it requires static objects for each "voice"
(and the 64 grains I mentioned, really bogs down my Mac). While I have
not tried PD on a Linux machine, I have heard that it runs much faster
than it does on a Mac.

I am also looking to build a controller interface using Arduino and a
multi-touch tablet of some sort, but that is down the road. The first
thing that I need to do is get an idea of what I want for the computer
hardware, and what software I am going to run. I am planning on some
version of Linux, and most likely it will be Ubuntu. But, that is also
part of the things that I am looking for some advice on.

I did find an interesting site that allows you to put together your
own system, and it gives you an idea of what those things will cost,
but I also imagine that those prices are what THEY would charge if
they put the system together for you. At least it could be used to fit
all the things together, and then you can price them else where... The
website is http://www.pugetsystems.com/

Mike