[LAU] Combining two stereo devices on one card into one four-channel device (M-Audio FastTrack Pro)

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Jul 16 22:22:43 UTC 2010

> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 11:27:57PM +0200, Florian Faber wrote:
>
>> On 07/16/10 23:22, David Balch wrote:
>>

>>> Any ideas how I can get it working? Thanks in advance for any help!
>>>
>> This all futile unless you can sync the word clock on both devices.
>> Happy soldering!
>>
> Are you certain the word clocks are separate, even tho both
> devices appear on a single card?

Maudio do/have done this on some devices for some reason. I haven't come
across any other manufacturers who do it. The clocks are synced but the
setup in alsa is a pita.

I have also noticed that previously tested and confirmed working
.asoundrc scripts don't work as expected. This started happening
sometime in the past couple of years. I'm not sure what has changed but
this stuff was sorted out several years ago and now it seems to be
broken again in that it is not just a case of copy and paste according
to the instructions that were painstakingly created all those years ago.

Either it's something to do with the location of the .asoundrc or it is
a change to the way the pcm.multi setup is now handled.

The result is that someone has to figure out what has changed and update
all the old scripts with the new details.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd