[LAU] JACK: inputs and outputs

Andrew Bryant andrew at brilyant.org
Sun Jul 18 11:46:42 UTC 2010

If I use qjackctl to start jackd, the connect window shows two capture
ports and two playback ports.

I can then start a pair of meterbridge dpms, and connect their inputs to
the capture ports.  Signal applied to the mic jack then shows up on the
meters.  So I deduce that the capture ports are related in some way to
the mic jack.

If I connect between the capture ports and the playback ports, should I
then expect the signal to be present at either the headphone or the line
output jack?

And (this may actually be the same question), the soundcard has numerous
analogue inputs (mic, line, CD), at least two outputs, not to mention
whatever the mechanism in the digital domain is to relay internet radio
etc.  Can they all appear as ports in the qjackctl connect window?  Is
there some special imprecation needed when I start jackd?

Thanks for your patience.

Andrew.