[LAU] Linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 41, Issue 32

David Balch david at balch.co.uk
Mon Jul 19 09:40:35 UTC 2010

[From digest]

On 17 July 2010 13:00,  <linux-audio-user-request at lists.linuxaudio.org> wrote:

> From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com>
> Subject: Re: [LAU] Combining two stereo devices on one card into one
>        four-channel device (M-Audio FastTrack Pro)

>>> This all futile unless you can sync the word clock on both devices.
>>> Happy soldering!

At this stage I just want one stereo out for speakers and the other
for headphones, to use with mixxx [http://www.mixxx.org/], so I was
hoping that exact sync wouldn't be necessary.

>> Are you certain the word clocks are separate, even tho both
>> devices appear on a single card?
>
> Maudio do/have done this on some devices for some reason. I haven't come
> across any other manufacturers who do it. The clocks are synced but the
> setup in alsa is a pita.

A bit of searching didn't find anything definitive, but I found a post
that seems to imply that the
http://forums.m-audio.com/archive/index.php/t-7497.html clocks are
synced.

> I have also noticed that previously tested and confirmed working
> .asoundrc scripts don't work as expected. This started happening
> sometime in the past couple of years. I'm not sure what has changed but
> this stuff was sorted out several years ago and now it seems to be
> broken again in that it is not just a case of copy and paste according
> to the instructions that were painstakingly created all those years ago.
>
> Either it's something to do with the location of the .asoundrc or it is
> a change to the way the pcm.multi setup is now handled.
>
> The result is that someone has to figure out what has changed and update
> all the old scripts with the new details.

Definitely a pita. Possibly not so much of a problem for those who've
been using ALSA for a while, but when it's a struggle for someone used
to a bit of tinkering, there's no chance for those who just want to
plug in and get on with it :-(

I got zero response to this on alsa-user list, so I guess I'll try alsa-devel...

Thanks for your input!

Cheers,
Dave.

http://www.witchesband.com/