[LAU] The rest of midi tracks follow the leading track

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Mon Jul 19 12:03:31 UTC 2010

On Monday 19 July 2010 13:52:24 Joan Quintana wrote:
> I want to implement an idea. In stead of playing along with my wind midi
> controller the leading track with the rest of midi tracks (being slave of
> the midi tempo), I would to program another way to play a midi file:
>
> playing the lead track generate all the events of the rest of the tracks.
> In this case the concept of the tempo changes, and need to be calculated
> continuously to trigger the events. With this idea I will be free to play
> the melody, and feel how the orchestra (the other tracks) follow me, and
> not me following the orchestra (play along).
>
> Is this a crazy idea? Could be feasible to program? Exist already something
> similar?
>
> I downloaded the source code of the pmidi project (a CLI midi player). Is
> this a good starting point to implement the job?

Some years ago an automatic blues band was presented at LAC. While that didn't
synchronize to your immediate tempo-changes (which would be quite disturbing)
it synchronized to your over-all tempo changes quite well.
Maybe you can search the archives (or the net) and take that csound-code as a
basis?

I don't think think looking at pmidi is useful for anything but simple midi-
player...

Have fun,

Arnold