[LAU] OT: youtube-dl stopped working

Rob lau at kudla.org
Fri Jul 23 02:41:15 UTC 2010

On Thursday 22 July 2010 19:51, Ken Restivo wrote:
> Hmm, I just tried it, and no go with Flash off. Even with Flash on, it
>  still didn't actually download anything.

TM++ doesn't work with Youtube as far as I know, because Youtube uses plain
old HTTP to grab videos and TM++ is for RTMP streaming, which no browser
plugin will currently handle.

And you do have to let the file play in the flash applet in order for TM++
to grab it; you just don't need sound turned on.  The last time I used it
was to grab a friend's song from his Myspace account, or maybe it was
ReverbNation.  Can't think offhand of which sites stream video that way,
but I've encountered a few.

Anyway, TM++ is something to be used as a fallback for those sites that
aren't, and likely will never be, supported by the various Firefox
extensions out there that work by scraping the site.  Downloadhelper still
works on Youtube as of when I tried it just now, but they may have come out
with an update in the last few days without my noticing it.

Rob