[LAU] "hi-fi component" PC cases or devices?

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Sat Jul 24 08:40:22 UTC 2010

Chris Cannam wrote:
> My home stereo is a pretty old-fashioned thing, and mostly I like it
> that way -- I have a record player that's a bit older than me, a CD
> player and amp about a decade old, and a couple of speakers.
> Occasionally I plug in a portable mp3 player.
>
> But I wouldn't mind adding some sort of "proper" box that can play
> audio files from hard disc.  I suppose I want something that looks and
> operates much like a hi-fi component but that is just a PC on the
> inside.  It must have its own storage, and not just expect to stream
> from another computer; must have a display on the front, and not just
> expect to be connected to a screen; should be mains-powered and quiet;
> CD-style transport buttons and some sort of selector dial on the front
> would be nice, rather than requiring a remote; wireless networking
> would be nice too; CD drive for ripping handy but inessential.
>
> Questions:
>
> 0. This must exist already as a consumer product, right? Where can I buy one?

Hello Chris,

The Popcorn Hour C-200 comes really close:
http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/index.php?pluginoption=productinfo&item_id=12

> 3. Any thoughts on soundcard hardware for a device like this?

In case of a mediaplayer get a player with optical out and connect it to
a decent DA converter.

> The Brennan JB7 player (http://www.brennan.co.uk/) is not far off the
> sort of thing I'd like, but it has no networking (copying from USB
> drives only).

I've read some positive stuff about the Brennan. It is specifically
designed for the purpose you describe, but alas, no ethernet or wifi :(

Best,

Jeremy