[LAU] linuxDSP LV2 plugins for Ardour and linux DAWs

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 06:13:52 UTC 2010

Perhaps sometimes some VSTs hide bad code behind good GUI. But another
frequent case is that good code is hidden behind good GUI.
The only way to know is to try out, but yet again - in the world of VSTs
there are things to try out. In the free world the amount of plugins
is very small and there are not a lot of things to try out in the first
place.

I do not think I have a clear opinion on this. And I would be very
interested for you, devs of audio software, to share your opinions. But
lately,
after having been quite tired by fighting the limitations linux audio has
today for making certain types of music, I've been wondering whether
some software is better off being proprietary. It might not be reviewed
code, but it works. And I don't really want anyone to be able to change
code of, say, FL Studio, because it is a great piece of software already. I
don't remember ever encountering a bug while working in it.

Of course, I personally switched to Linux because of philosophical
principles. And now I find myself confused. Is it possible that some
software
is too complex, needs too tight a development and thus good funding to be
free? And instead needs to be proprietary to get things done?

--
Louigi Verona
http://www.louigiverona.ru/