[LAU] linuxDSP LV2 plugins for Ardour and linux DAWs

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 18:29:08 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Bernardo Barros
<bernardobarros2 at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2010/7/28, Louigi Verona <louigi.verona at gmail.com>:
> > "Different funding strategies" is vague. I think that Linux would have
> lots
> > and
> > lots of cool stable apps if those "funding strategies" were obvious. But
> > they
> > are not.
>
> They aren't indeed.  Linux kernel is doing well with really big
> companies supporting it. Multimedia applications still did not find
> the best way, but they will. Donations from professionals and
> universities doing research between arts and computer science would be
> two options. All I said was to keep  closed software away from
> gnu/linux. (But I think proprietary under free OS is better then
> proprietary software under proprietary OS, I don't know).

Who knows. Proprietary under free OS might be better indeed than under
proprietary OS. I am just wondering lately whether open source model of
development and/or environment of free and voluntary developers is at all
capable of delivering robust, stable and professional level apps. I am not
saying
that it is not possible in question, but I am wondering whether it is
possible on
a regular basis, since such apps are needed in many fields. And many things
on
GNU/Linux are either difficult or impossible to do today.

--
Louigi Verona
http://www.louigiverona.ru/