[LAU] Campaign: "The most remarkable album on this entire planet"

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Tue Jun 1 06:34:38 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Monday 31 May 2010 22:58:10 Chris Cannam wrote:
> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 9:33 PM,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 08:49:05PM +0200, Leonard Ritter wrote:
> >> We hope the album will always be remembered for showing that selling
> >> copies isn't the only way to produce great work,
> >
> > It never is. The order is
> >
> > 1. Produce great work,
> > 2. Sell copies.
> Is that true, historically speaking?

Historically it might be more like:

1) Get paid by _one_ individual to produce great work.
2) Produce work.
3) Get kicked out of the contract if the work isn't great enough or not to the
likes of the payer.

And before that time, it was:

1) Produce great work.
2) Give it away for free.

Doing music (or any) art for a living, that is with being paid, is a very hard
thing to do. Not only do you need people buying your stuff (after you made it,
who on earth pays an artist/designer/plumber before they at least started?),
you also need to deal with those 'real art has to be free'-blockes...

Have fun,

Arnold