[LAU] Sustain pedal issue with undesired repeated notes (m-audio keystation 88es + qjackctl + qsynth)

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Jun 8 09:12:51 UTC 2010

Nicolas BERCHER wrote:
> On 06.06.2010 23:44, Ken Restivo wrote:

>>> Try putting a MIDI monitor program between the keyboard's MIDI output
>>> and QSynth's input port in QJackCtl. Look for the repeats there.
>>>
>>> If you have KDE: http://kmidimon.sourceforge.net/
>>>
>>> For Gnome/GTK: http://home.gna.org/gmidimonitor/
>>>

>> For none of the above (my preference): aseqdump :-)
>>
>> -ken
>>

> Thank you for answers.
> Yes, I also prefer command line tools! ;-)
> So, I checked what's going on:
> $ aseqdump --list
>  Port    Client name                      Port name
>   0:0    System                           Timer
>   0:1    System                           Announce
>  14:0    Midi Through                     Midi Through Port-0
>  20:0    SB Live! Value [CT4870]          EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)
>  24:0    USB Keystation 88es              USB Keystation 88es MIDI 1
> $ aseqdump -p 24:0
> Waiting for data. Press Ctrl+C to end.
> Source_ Event_________________ Ch _Data__
>  24:0   Control change          0  64 127
>  24:0   Note on                 0  82  82
>  24:0   Note on                 0  82   0
>  24:0   Control change          0  64   0
>
> The above sequence dumped by aseqdump shows only one note event (lines
> 2+3: press+release) but I heard a delayed note as mentioned in my first
> mail.
> The keyboard seems to do things right, so I think it comes from qsynth.
> Isn't that strange? I mean many people around there use qsynth, am I the
> only one to have this kind of problem?

Hmm, have never had QSynth repeat a note unless I actually repeated a
note. Interesting. I don't know the innards of MIDI events, so don't
know what the various numbers above mean.

WAGging around: Is your USB MIDI connection sharing a USB bus with other
USB devices? Maybe some other USB device is doing something weird with
the bus and something isn't getting handled right?

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community