[LAU] Sustain pedal issue with undesired repeated notes (m-audio keystation 88es + qjackctl + qsynth)

Nicolas BERCHER nbercher at yahoo.fr
Tue Jun 8 11:26:03 UTC 2010

On 08.06.2010 12:21, David Santamauro wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 12:15:13 +0200
> Nicolas BERCHER<nbercher at yahoo.fr>  wrote:
>

>> On 08.06.2010 11:21, David Santamauro wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> Actually, there are two note events and both are NOTE ON, one with
>>> velocity of 82 and the other 0. The velocity 0 should be
>>> interpreted as NOTE OFF.
>>>

>> I forgot to tell you that the third dump line, which correspond to
>> the key release, appeared *after* the undesired delayed note (I've
>> kept it pressed about ten seconds).
>> So I think that the keyboard events are well interpreted by qsynth
>> since I can play piano in a standard way: notes can ring as long as I
>> want when I press/release the keys!
>>
> Aha ... sounds like an attack issue with the soundfont. You press a
> key, there is an initial attack, the sample loops and reattacks.
>
>    - do the notes repeat if you play them staccato, i.e., key
>      on/off<  the time seen for the repeated notes to trigger?

No, that's why, fortunately, I can play of the songs I want on this fake
digital piano without any delay trouble (occurs on 4 specific notes only
if pedal/key pressed longer than 6~7 seconds)!

>    - Have you tried a different soundfont and/or patch and is the
>      behavior identical regardless?

The use of another piano sound font solved the problem.
It is sad for, as a beginner in midi and jack world, to began by using a
corrupted sound font...!
I have to do some tests in order to be sure that the problem was caused
by a particular corrupted sound font before I mark this thread SOLVED!

I really thank all of you, you were all of great help!
Nicolas