[LAU] Digital Recorders+Rewind+Record?

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu Jun 10 01:42:45 UTC 2010

On Wed, June 9, 2010 6:29 pm, Hart Larry wrote:
> This is quite a chalenge to explain in a subject-line.
> In May I asked about simple editing software--and-now I am trying to
> replacing
> recording News-programming on reel2reel tape, with either a handheld or
> tabletop digital recorder.

You could achieve the same results with a Linux audio computer running
ecasound for example.

If you require portablity then you could look at getting a pico board or
even just a netbook. I recall that there are several people already using
ecasound to record radio broadcasts automatically and they have already
solved the issue of removing advertising with their scripts too.

If you want an out of the box distribution designed for blind users there
are a couple of options one being vinux http://vinux.org.uk/ and another I
can give you details off list as it is not officially released yet.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.

> I have been to some music stores here in
> Southern
> Cal,  but many of these units have confusing button layouts.  Also, since
> I am
> totally blind, many units you must go in a complicated set of menus.
> Another chalenge, most units seemingly will not let you rewind--and-resume
> recording on top of commercials, since I want to edit them out.
> Buttons on the Zoom H4n were not too bad--and-recording on SD cards will
> save
> me lots of cash buying high-priced reel tapes, as well, I will get many
> more
> hours of recording.
> I am not a musician, but I would only be recording audio off-air.
> I know Olympus makes some units for the blind which talk, but they are
> missing
> features of other units on the market.
> Obviously it will be helpful hearing audio as I rewind.
> Can some1 please tell me if there are units out there which have a simple
> feel
> like older recorders?
> Thanks so much in advance
> Hart