[LAU] Digital Recorders+Rewind+Record?

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu Jun 10 02:29:48 UTC 2010

On Wed, June 9, 2010 7:02 pm, Hart Larry wrote:
> Hi Patrick:  I am replying alone, so you can please provide details of
> another
> Linux version.

I have sent you the details off list.

> I have tried GRML--and-another one which is not maintained
> any
> more, had YASR and several software synthesizers.
> At home I am still in FC9 with a Dec-Talk USB.  Ecasound and Audacity seem
> complicated, that's why I asked about simple audio editors.

Ecasound does have a learning curve but it also has an extremely helpful
community of active users.

> Meanwhile recording on removeable sd cards may just be a perfect solution,

That sounds like a fairly expensive solution as sd cards are not as cheap
as tape or CD/DVD.

> but
> I will need a line-in-jack so I can patch in my Dish Network receiver.

If you are not intending to move around a lot and already have a computer
that you can connect to the dish then I suggest working with ecasound as
it will save you a lot of time in the long run.

You will be able to fully automate the process of recording, editing out
advertising and even burning to cd/dvd on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.

What kind of volume of data are you intending to record? 30 mins per day
or 24 hours per day? If the latter you may want to also look into
compressing with ogg or flac.

There are several people using ecasound to manage this procedure. Combined
with a cront job you can have it fully automated so all you have to do is
remember to replace the DVD on a regular basis. You can even make it pop
out the tray when it needs a new disk and send a daily email with a status
report if you want.

> Some of the other specialized devices on the market, may only record audio
> at a
> loer bit rate, I think PlexTalk may be like that.

Depending on the sound card that you have you can record at pretty much
any bit rate you want.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.