[LAU] turning a consumer soundcard into "prosumer" w/ quasi-balanced outs

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Thu Jun 10 07:57:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 10:03 PM,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> You convinced yourself of _what_ ?

Purely subjectively, that whatever it is that constitutes "the magic
of the vinyl sound" is still there when recorded onto a computer, and
indeed even when encoded to mp3.  (assuming decent hardware and
quality settings throughout.)

I haven't actually proven that I can't distinguish between a record
and a digital recording of that record... just done enough to silence
that bit of the vinyl mystic in me.

Even so, I still like "the act of putting on the record".

Chris