[LAU] GPL vs GPLv3

Atte André Jensen atte at email.dk
Thu Jun 10 09:19:35 UTC 2010

Hi

I write a little code from time to time. I just discovered that at least
some of it is still under GPL. Now I'm thinking about changing that to
GPLv3.

1) Can I Just Do It, simply by stating on the webpage and/or in the
software that it's under GPLv3.

2) Is it (as I understand from
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/rms-why-gplv3.html) recommended to change to
GPLv3? What are the main advantages (both for the community and me) with
GPLv3 and are there any drawbacks?

NB: I *did* try to read + understand the text on the GPL webpage, but
it's a little too much for me. So I'm hoping for some simple pointers
and recommendations.

NB2: I also wrote some "patches" for various synths and stuff like that.
I know it's been brought up here before, but forgot the answers. Could
that be released under GPL(v3) as well or is it better to use CC, and if
so which dialect is recommended? The "patches" are everything from ams
presets, zyn presets, pd patches + externals, csound/blue code and some
more I might have forgotten.

--
Atte

http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk