[LAU] audacity alternative?

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Sat Jun 12 14:08:08 UTC 2010

Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> david wrote:
>> cal wrote:

>>> The humble hda can perform ridiculously well for what it is. I'd
>>> recommend
>>> replacing the '-n2' with '-S -n3'. The '-p1024' should be able to go
>>> down to
>>> '-p256' (or even lower) as well.
>> Also, I think the HDA's native rate is 48000, not 44100. At least the
>> ones in my two laptops are.
>>

> I've wondered about this native rate. I always set my onboard cards to
> 48Khz too but I've read here and there that it shouldn't matter,
> especially with modern onboard cards. And afaik -n3 is only useful with
> USB1 cards that prefer a latency that is a multiple of their interrupt
> period
> (http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2009-October/064013.html).
>
> Best,
>
> Jeremy

Jeremy, cal, david,
Sorry I didn't react sooner but I discovered yesterday evening that my
provider has forgotten to renew the ssl certificate for my maildomain
and as I use fetchmail with full check of ssl certificate it wouldn't
fetch my E-mail. And only this morning I found out what the problem was
and how to circumvent it and now my system is backing up several systems
(backuppc) and even this fast beast is running at 50% (on 4 cores) so I
don't think testing for XRUNS is useful.
As soon as this is complete, however, I wil try the given suggestions
and report back.
Of  course I blame pulsaudio as I don't think that the simple commando
pulseaudio -k will really stop it and removing is a somewhat complicated
process. I also don't know if I have to install the special
short-latency patches as I think it is ridiculous that a system like
this can play without a problem video's with sound an image and the
simple playback of audio gives so many problems. I wonder if upgrading
to Lucy gives better audio performance.
Joep