[LAU] Fwd: Changes to the WebM Open Source License

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Sun Jun 13 01:11:18 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Niels Mayer's message of 2010-06-13 00:33:53 +0200:
> PS: Is there a "codec dynamic loader" for http://lame.sourceforge.net
> , such that applications can be compiled once, and then, at load time,
> dynamically load and support MP3 if the lame-libraries are present?
> Seems like such a "meta-lame" package would solve all sorts of
> problems, such as having to provide both "free" and never-up-to-date
> "nonfree" versions of most audio editing software,
> e.g.:audacity.x86_64 1.3.11-0.1.beta.fc12  @updates  vs.
> audacity-freeworld.x86_64 1.3.7-0.6.1.beta.fc11 rpmfusion-free.

I'm reasonably sure it's somehow possible. I know that it works for the
audio player moc, at least with wavpack. If it's compiled with wavpack
support and it's not installed nothing bad happens. Wavpack files don't
show up and those in a playlist don't play, that's all. No idea how it's
implemented, but I'd like to see that kind of behavior in more apps.
--
Regards,
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan