[LAU] 24-bit, 24 bit, 24bit and oh how it hz

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 20:48:05 UTC 2010

On 16 June 2010 02:17, Giuseppe Zompatori <siliconjoe at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/6/15 Folderol <folderol at ukfsn.org>:
>> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 10:29:50 -0700
>> Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at cosgroves.us> wrote:

>>> I don't particularly like having characters which are special to
>>> Linux shells in file-names nor in sound file tags.  They're slightly
>>> harder to deal with.  Slash (/) is one of the characters I try to
>>> avoid, as are spaces ( ).
>>>
>>> Cheerio....
>>>
>>> --
>>> Kevin
>>
>> How about 24~96 ?
>>
>> --
>> Will J Godfrey
>> http://www.musically.me.uk
>> Say you have a poem and I have a tune.
>> Exchange them and we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
>>

> "~" is a bash alias for $HOME.
> i.e.: "cd ~" does cd to your $HOME directory.

Heh, yeah.

However, I don't think those should be of concern here. Slashes or
tildes, these would be part of metadata, and not data, which any
POSIX-compliant environment/interpreter would never come into direct
contact with except between scripts (you are then responsible for
maintaining this sanity). You are allowed to go crazy with characters
as long as they can be displayed by the system, and as long as you're
not talking about file naming (which is real data to the environment).

Since manufacturers also use the hyphen in place of the slash, a safer
bet would then be 24-96 if you're paranoid.

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD