[LAU] Recording Beethoven's "Heroic"

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 18:52:12 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:14 AM,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 06:22:47PM +0200, Giorgio - Audiophilo wrote:
>
>> i just wanted to share some pictures from "Verdi" theatre in Como (Italy)
>> where i've recently recorded Ludwig Van Beethoven's "Heroic".
>> There were about 35 musicians, and 9 microphones, 6 on the stage to catch
>> the "sections", 2 far from the stage to catch the natural sound of the
>> orchestra and one dedicated to the natural reverb of the theatre.
>
> This must be one of the weirdest mic setups for an orchestral
> recording I've seen, I wonder how it sounds.
> Any chance you could make a small fragment of the original
> tracks available ? AFAIK under Italian law you can dsitribute
> 59 seconds for 'scientific purposes'.
>
> Ciao,
>
> --
> FA
>
> O tu, che porte, correndo si ?
> E guerra e morte !

First, we should say thanks to Giorgio for sharing the pictures.

I love the preamp-mixer monster thingy. Looks very old school.

Not picking on Giorgio but as for the mic setup it's more reminiscent
of how I might record something like jazz ensemble if I wasn't
interested (or wanted to eliminate) room acoustics. As it is it could
be OK if the recording was for something like a film score where it
would be mixed with other things?

Cheers,
Mark