[LAU] Recording Beethoven's "Heroic"

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Thu Jun 17 09:06:02 UTC 2010

On 06/16/2010 09:53 PM, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:52:12AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> Not picking on Giorgio but as for the mic setup it's more reminiscent
>> of how I might record something like jazz ensemble if I wasn't
>> interested (or wanted to eliminate) room acoustics.
>
> Exactly my impression. The six 'on stage' mics are (in the context
> of orchestral recording) really 'spot mics'. If the main pair is
> as Giorgio posted 'far from the stage' (is it the pair visible on
> one of the pictures, at the back ?) it could be difficult to combine
> them. And *one* mic for room reverb seems strange as well (unless it's
> a stereo mic).

the main pair (if it really is) sure looks unconventional. but i've seen
(or rather, heard) at least two venues where curved surfaces would
create a very sweet spot quite far away from the stage, and any closer
main microphone position would sound less defined.

i'd also be interested in hearing an excerpt. thanks for posting this!