[LAU] Weird level issues in MonoSynth, adding LFO?

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Fri Jun 18 01:16:09 UTC 2010

I've been using Monosynth DSSI synth live lately. It's a fun and low-CPU-usage solo synth.

There are two problems though:

1) The level of MonoSynth is INSANELY loud, like 10dB louder than the Fluidsynths and Beatrice that make up the rest of my setup. The only hack I could find around this is to put a LADSPA amplifier effect after the MonoSynth and before the system outs, and set it to ZERO gain! In other words, just putting an amp there acts to normalize the levels, even if it has no positive or negative gain. This tells me there's some problem with Monosynth. I'd rather like to fix it in Monosynth than to do hacks like putting useless amps into the signal chain. Unfortunately I know nothing of DSP. Any idea where in the code I would look for this.

2) I really wish Monosynth had an LFO or two, assignable to the oscillators and/or VCF's. I'd be happy to add it if it were something I could understand how to do. If anyone has any pointers or advice on how to add an LFO to this synth, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.

-ken