[LAU] digital volume sounds better at 0 dB?

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Sat Jun 19 10:09:46 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 06:27:39PM -0700, Niels Mayer wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 1:41 PM, <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:

> Shouldn't the output level be the same, and only the resolution improved --
> whatever is the standard peak-to-peak voltage
> for consumer audio (~ 2vpp?). Otherwise, we'll risk electrocution when they
> invent 64 bit DACs :-)

The limiting factors are the output impedance of the converter,
(which is a thermal noise source, no matter how good the DAC
is) and the noise floor of the output opamps.

Since most opamps can deliver much more than 2 Vpp, and
pro levels are higher anyway, it makes sense to expand
the range at that end.

Ciao,

--
FA