[LAU] midi: trigger a "piano roll scroller" type thing?

Aaron L. elmastero74 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 02:31:12 UTC 2010

Hi all.

I don't do any midi stuff.

I've messed around with it a bit and understand the basics but I'm wondering
if a certain midi "feature" (not sure what to call it) exists.

Let's say you have a pre-recorded bass track......

And you create a midi file out of it....

Would it be possible to trigger each individual note of that midi file with,
say, a kick pedal in real, human time?

This would mean that every kick drum hit would trigger a new note (the next
one in the series) but would still be triggered by a human being's sense of
rhythm.

I'm sure this exists but I have no idea of what it's called.

And, of course, what are the best open source options to achieve something
like this?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

-Aaron