[LAU] A Bach in appology and completeness :-)

Julien Claassen julien at c-lab.de
Tue Jun 22 21:45:51 UTC 2010

Hello Niels!
   Yes, I think the AN1X is a good device for its price. It was the first
virtual analogue synth I owned. and I had fun with it. :-)
   Yet the CS series? Really! My friend had a CS2X and it was... funny! :-) We
liked to play it if we wanted to have a laugh. :-)
   As for the big ROMs of new Motif synths, I can only say, that there are a
few sounds, which aren't too useful in a production, but there are loads of
sounds, where 355 of 5xx MB of internal ROM come in handy. They had to update
their basic sounds. Their woodwinds sounded horrible, even in the first motif!
but nowadyas, their guitar are beyond reporach on a synth, their pianos are
very good, as it their harpsichord. And on the Tyors keyboards, from which
they seem to export sounds back to the motif series, there are some other very
realistic sounds, I wouldn't want to miss in such an instrument. Agree, since
I sold my AN1X I don't have any Yamaha keyboard left, accept my DX7IID. But I
like to play the Tyros keyboards if I come across them and I'd like to buy
one, if I could have them just with the sounds, maybe even minus the effects,
I can do them on my Linux box. :-) But unfortunitely they only seel them the
way they are with auto accompapnyment and every other gismo. the Motifs seem
to drag a little, when it comes to this quality. But Yamaha has had the most
realistic sounds memorex, that I've heard over the last years! And that's why
I think these big ROMS are well justified. :-)
   Thanks for opening this discussion on synths. :-) How I love to talk sound
and device. :-)
   Sound(ing)ly yours :-)
            Julien

--------