[LAU] Software for recording digital audio?

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Wed Jun 23 08:43:19 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Andrew C's message of 2010-06-23 06:03:41 +0200:
> Wow, thanks for the replies guys!
>
> Of the software mentioned here, my biggest wish is for syncability with JACK
> transport, so I can send the output of one of the linuxsampler instruments
> to the recording software, hit the play button from inside Rosegarden and
> have a perfectly synced audio copy of one particular instrument output which
> I can then drop back into the sequencer timeline and continue with another
> section of the song, thereby freeing up system resources.
>
> Of course, this rules out jack_capture I'm afraid!
>
> I'll take a look at Ecasound/Nama, the tk interface for nama doesn't look
> too bad and it's relatively lightweight.
>
> Arnold, I can't find any link to time-machine as audio recording software
> via google, just as a filesystem snapshotting app.
>
> Traverso is perhaps a bit overkill for my needs. Also, isn't audacity JACK
> aware via pulse audio or somesuch?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Andrew

Audacity uses portaudio and is absolutely unusable for this job.

I'm a bit of a traverso fan, especially because of the developments in
git, so I'd say you could give it a shot. Beware though that the version
debian/ubuntu currently ships is broken, but I'd recommend git anyway.
Its not feature complete yet, but handling jack and internal routing was
greatly improved, and it's pretty much totally qwerty controllable now.
--
Regards,
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan