[LAU] OT: Microphone choice for pipe organ

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Thu Jun 24 20:08:39 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Thursday 24 June 2010 00:55:29 Jonathan Gazeley wrote:
> On 06/23/2010 11:26 PM, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
> > I don't fully agree on the benefits of using omnis.
> > A *good* cardioid will reproduce the bass as well,
> > even if maybe you need to EQ a few dB. And spaced omnis
> > on organs or anything that produces long sustained notes
> > can be a disaster for mono compatibility, unless they are
> > spaced much more than a meter. And in that case you risk
> > the 'hole in the middle' or you need at least three mics.
> Thanks too for your advice. How important is mono compatibility, given
> that these recordings are burnt to CD as stereo, and handed out to
> people who listen to them on their stereos at home?

Many people today have a "stereo" where the two speakers are about 20cm away
from each other. Which makes it mono for any practical listening.
Other people listen to it in their car. Either they have a Maibach with a Bose
sound-system, or each passenger will sit in front of one speaker and only hear
the other channel very thin => Mono for all practical efforts.
And if they really like your music, they will listen to it from their mobile
phone. Again in mono.

Even if we are living in the age of 5.1 and 7.1 and ambisonics, it is still
important to have your music mono-compatible because we also live in the age
of really crappy sound systems (which incidentally intel named "high definition
audio" aka hda, go figure)...

Arnold