[LAU] New music: And it's time for: Bach again! Bach again! :-)

Josh Lawrence hardbop200 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 16:11:32 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 4:38 AM, Atte André Jensen <atte at email.dk> wrote:
> Fast bebop is almost even 8ths :-)

yes!  you have no idea how long it took me to figure this out.  and I
agree with your earlier statement that Bach sounds better when played
straight.

I think too many people think jazz = swing.  I'm not even going to
attempt to define jazz, but I think restricting it to only swing is
wrong.

also, I hear a lot of complicated harmonies implied by even the
simplest of bach's pieces (as you said, b9, etc.).  I guess to him
they were all passing tones...but I guess they are to us, too.

I'm getting dangerously close to spitting opinions on things and
revealing my ignorance here, but in my mind, bach is what jazz
could/should grow up to be, that is if it hasn't already.

tl;dr - bach would dig charlie parker :)

--
Josh Lawrence
http://www.hardbop200.com