[LAU] Sample Manager & Apps That Support Elastic Time?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Jun 26 11:57:59 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 5:47 AM, Leonard Ritter <paniq at paniq.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm looking for an app that assists in organizing and previewing
> samples/wave files. I vaguely remember that there exists at least one
> app for that, but Google fails me. Any idea?
>
> Also, are there sample editing apps on Linux which support "elastic
> time" editing, such as Pro Tools or Cubase do? I know Ardour has
> timestretching and chopping up regions, but I'm looking for something
> more comfortable...

Given that Rubberband was really the first library available on Linux
without a license that could do high quality timestretching, its not
really suprising that there are not that many apps which support this
(*). "Elastic time" is really a phenomenally complex thing to
implement - I've heard that when it was added to ProTools they
basically had to redesign the entire program and it was probably their
biggest engineering undertaking since starting the project.

(*) yes, there was soundtouch for several years before, but it uses
WSOLA which generates artifacts on a lot more material than RB does.
and yes, there is one proprietary library available too, but without
source and with a license that makes it hard to use on GPL projects.