[LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Mon Jun 28 22:17:20 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Folderol's message of 2010-06-26 22:44:20 +0200:
> This has been al over the internet.
>
> Most people are treating it with contempt.

But a thanks from me, I didn't know of it. Very interesting, even the
comments are in a way, as they display different points of view.

It also spawned  an idea.
How about CC licensing music, but
not right away.

Wait a couple of years or however long you want. It's similar to a
reduced copyright expiration time. After a duration you decide on you
just say: "Hey it's free, listen to my music, share it!".
This would be beneficial for a lot of reasons. As advertising for the
artist, sharable cultural good for the public, as means of reducing
illegal replication. I merely guess that a lot of the illegally copied
music is actually pretty old and should IMHO be a shareable public good.

As artist you could use CC-BY-SA-NC for example. If someone wants to
make money off your music he still has to come to you, but for all other
intents and purposes it could be shared. It could be used to advertise
new music, and chances are that people are more willing to buy and less
willing to just copy the new stuff.

This is just an idea and a couple of guesses, I've nothing to back it
up, but another guess is that it could cause quite a stir if a
reasonably well known artist would pick up this approach.

Ultimately, others would follow this example, which could lead to a
'natural' reduction of the copyright expiration time, or at least serve
as practical example as to why it could be a good idea.
--
Regards,
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan