[LAU] digital upgrade of older equipment via I2S with jitter attenuating S/PDIF receiver evaluation board ??

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 18:03:12 UTC 2010

FYI lots of interesting digital and analog circuits and modules
available at http://www.twistedpearaudio.com .
I found one that has a WM8804 for $75.00 assembled, or $14.00 for the
PCB, but I don't think it's configured correctly. Regarding whether it
can be configured differently, here's a question I posted to their
forum, and some links to similar mods on the Roland SoundCanvas SC-88,
the Yamaha MU-10, and a Nintendo Gamecube....
http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&m=5968&

I'm interested in tapping internal I2S outputs from working
soundcards&syths with outdated analog sections and exporting their
output to S/PDIF, rather than S/PDIF to I2S (see
http://linuxaudio.org/mailarchive/lau/2010/6/25/170787 ). I was
excited to find that this module was cheaper than the $200.00 WM8804
evaluation board that appears to be able to perform this task, but
less enthusiastic after clicking on the "transceiver" link and landing
on the "S/PDIF receiver" link instead.

Is there a way to enable the other direction of signalling --
I2S->S/PDIF -- on this "S/PDIF receiver" board?
Or do I need to the Wolfson WM8804-6152-DS20-EV1 board (
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Wolfson-Microelectronics/WM8804-6152-DS20-EV1/?qs=Xqu1B/s4UobSmDPf34PglA%3d%3d
)

Another alternative is to find a hard to find and overpriced Toshiba
TC9231N ( http://pdfserv.datasheetpro.net/ToshibaSemiconductor/TC9231N.pdf
-- $76.00 just for the chip ) using a circuit like
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av%3Anintendogcda
but using a 11.2896Mhz xtal for 44.1K instead of a 12.288Mhz crystal
for 48K rate of Nintendo box from above link.

Other older devices interfaced similarly include a Roland SoundCanvas
SC88 and a Yamaha MU-10:
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4063.0;imode
http://www3.big.or.jp/%7Efujikko/sc88vl/kaizo.html
http://www.uyouyo.com/special/soundcrd/sc88.htm